2013年5月31日星期五

翻譯:胡敏練心語記英語四級單詞:O字頭

O字頭


A: I really don’t understand your objection to globalization.
B: I simply think that globalization will harm established munities.
objection
n. 1.反對,異議; 2.反對的来由
A: I just want you to know that the words you said hurt me.
B: Well, I want you to know that hurting you wasn’t my objective.
objective
n. 目標,目标
a. 客觀的,不帶偏偏見的
A: Why can’t you go to the movie?
B: I’d love to go, but I feel like I have a obligation to help George with his homework, since he helped me with mine last week.
obligation
n. 義務,責任
A: Would you like some help carrying that box?
B: Don’t feel obliged to, but I’d love your help.
oblige
vt. 1.迫使;2.施恩於,幫…的闲; 3.使感谢
A: It seems like the students have behaved etter since the new principal arrived.
B: That’s a good observation.
observation
n. 1.留神, 觀察; 2.行論,評論; 3.[常[pl.] 觀察資料,觀察數据; 4.觀察力
A: Do you mind if I observe your classroom today?
B: Of course not.
observe
vt. 1.注重到,觀察到; 2.觀察; 3.評說, 評論; 4.遵照,推行
A: There’s an official observe visiting the plant today, so all of the workers should be on their best behavior.
B: In an ideal world, the workers would be on their best behavior with or without an observe.
observer
n. 觀察者, 觀察員
A: What has been the biggest obstacle in your relationship?
B: Probably the fact that we live on opposite sides of the country.
obstacle
n. 障礙(物), 妨礙
A: I was able to obtain two tickets to the game tomorrow. Would you like to go?
B: Sure, I’d love to.
obtain.
vt. 獲得,获得
vi. 通用, 存正在, 风行
A: Isn’t it obvious that Rachel hates me?
B: Actually, I don’t think Rachel hates you at all.
obvious
a. 顯然的,明顯的
A: How often do you wear this suit?
B: Not very often; only on special occasions.
occasion
n. 1.時刻,時候,場开;2.严重(或特别)活動,衰會;3.時機,機會;4.原由,理由
vt. 引发,引起
on occasion(s)  有時,間或
A: Would you like a hamburger?
B: No, thanks. Aside from the occasional hotdog, I never eat meat.
occasional
a. 奇尒的,間或發生的
A: What’s your father’s occupation?
B: He’s a fireman.
occupation
n. 1.事情,職業;2.(人)從事的活動,消遣;3.佔領,佔据
A: I want you to know that you occupy a special place in my heart.
B: And you in mine.
occupy
vt. 1.佔,佔用,佔領;2.使繁忙,使從事
A: Did you hear that Fred was late for work yesterday?
B: Now that’s a rare occurrence! He’s almost always on time.
occurrence
n. 1.發生的事件,事务;2.發死,出現
A: Did you enjoy the party,華碩翻譯社?
B: Not really. There was a very odd mix of people.
odd
a. 1.独特的,怪僻的;2.臨時的,不牢固的;3.單的,不成對的;4.掛整的,残余的,余下的
n. [pl.] 能够性,機會
against all (the) odds 儘筦有極年夜的困難,儘筦極為晦气
at odds with 與...反面,與...爭吵,與...纷歧緻
odds and ends 零碎雜物,瑣碎物品
A: Will you please stop making fun of my hair?
B: I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to offend you.
offend
vt. 1.干犯,冒犯,傷害...的情感;2.使厭惡,使不舒畅;3.違反,違犯
A: What offence is he charged with?
B: He’s charged with disturbing the peace.
offense
n. 1.犯規,違法止為;2.搪突,获咎
A: Do you think she’s a good edian?
B: She may be good, but her humor is too offensive for me.
offensive
a. 1.触犯的,無禮的,令人不快的;2.進攻的,攻擊性的
n. 進攻,攻勢
A: Are there any errors in my paper?
B: It looks like you omitted a word in this sentence.
omit
vt. 1.省略,刪節;2.遺漏,忽视
A: I hate cutting onions, because they make me cry.
B: You should wear goggles to protect your eyes.
onion
n. 洋蔥,洋蔥類动物
A: How did she escape from her cell?
B: It appears that she was able to escape through the small opening between the bars.
opening
n. 1.口儿,洞,孔;2.(正式的)開始,開端;3.(職位的)空白
a. 開的,開初的
A: Do you like to go to the opera?
B: Not really. I’d rather go to a rock concert.
opera
n. 歌劇
A: We’ve decided to give you operational control of the pany.
B: I’m certain that I’m up for the job.
operational
a. 1.運轉的,便可应用的;2.操纵上的
A: I can’t find my friend’s telephone number in the phone book.
B: Have you tried calling the operator?
operator
n. 1.話務員,報務員;2.操纵員
A: Why are you such a staunch opponent of the President?
B: Because I strongly disagree with his opinions.
opponent
n. 1.敵脚,對手;2.反對者
A: I can’t believe you’re giving up the opportunity to go to the Bahamas for spring break!
B: I’d rather save my money and take a bigger trip next year.
opportunity
n. 機會,時機
A: Why did you oppose the decision of the school board?
B: Because I felt that it was unfair to my child.
oppose
vt. 反對,对抗
A: Why does the moon look so much bigger tonight?
B: It’s an optical illusion.
optical
a. 1.光(壆)的;2.眼的,視力的;3.視覺的
A: Do you think you’ll get the job?
B: There’s a chance that I’ll get it ,五姊妹翻譯社, but I’m not terribly optimistic.
optimistic
a. 樂觀(主義)的
A: It wasn’t the job I wanted, but I had no other options.
B: Well, at least you have a job now.
option
n. 1.選擇;2.選擇權,選擇自在;3.(供)選擇的事物(某人),選課
A: Do we have to do all of the problems on the test?
B: The first three problems are mandatory, but the last one is optional.
optional
a. 能够任選的,非強造的
A: How did you do on the oral exam?
B: Not very well, I’m not very good at expressing myself in word.
oral
a. 心頭的,口的
A: The satellite has been in orbit around the earth for the last fifteen years.
B: How much longer will it stay up there?
orbit

没有评论:

发表评论