2013年9月24日星期二

【地道英語】Shut up! 閉嘴!

  The script of this programme 本節目台詞

  (Li and Rosie are at the cinema)

  Li: No, come on - don't do it! 別進往!

  Rosie: Li, she's an actress in a film, she can't hear you. And besides, it's rude to talk in the cinema.


 

  Li: But it's just so frustrating. Don't go into the house! Don't do it! Noooo! I can't watch. 不行不成,我看不了!

  Rosie: Li, shut up!

  Li: I know, he's shut her up in that house and won't let her go. 她被鎖住了,出不來了...

  Rosie: No, Li... I didn't mean that he 'shut' her up in the house. I was telling you to 'shut up'. It's a rude way of saying 'Be quiet'.

  Spectator: Excuse me, will you please shut up?

  Rosie: I'm really sorry. Li, I can't take you anywhere.

  Li: Oh well look, the film is over now, anyway. Sorry about the talking, but I just get a bit carried away. 我有點降進電影的情節裏了。

  Rosie: Well, I'm sorry I told you to shut up. It is quite a rude expression in English, but you just kept talking and talking and just wouldn't shut up!

  Li: 這麼說,當我唸要其他人別出聲的時候便能够說閉嘴?So, can I tell someone to shut up when they are making noise?

  Rosie: You can, but it's informal and can be rude. So if you're in a formal context you should say something like, "Could you please be quiet?"

  Li: 好吧,正正在開會的時候不能應用 shut up 這個短語, 這太不禮貌了。能夠說: Could you please be quiet? 不過我假如實的跟伴侶不耐煩了,我能夠對他們說 shut up.

  Rosie: Yes, although sometimes it's used when people are joking in English. Let's listen to some examples:

  · "I'm so tired. And thirsty. When are we going to get there? If only you'd drive a bit faster..."

  · "Will you please shut up? I can't concentrate with your constant moaning."

  · "I look fat in this dress. It's so clingy!"

  · "Oh shut up! You look great."

  · "I just read the whole book in an hour."

  · "Shut up! No one can read that quickly."

  Rosie: So, in that first example, we heard the expression 'shut up' used in a serious way. But in the second and third examples, it doesn't mean we want someone to be quiet - it means: "I don't believe you" or "Don't be ridiculous!"

  Li: 這麼說,如果某人說的話讓您覺得可笑,那麼你就可以夠說 shut up. 但是對圓一定是關係不錯的朋友,千萬要記住啊! You've been warned!

  Rosie: Well, one thing's for sure, I'm never, and I mean never, going to the cinema with you again.

  Li: Shut up! I don't believe you... 我才不疑 Rosie 的話呢,所以我對她說 shut up! You love going to cinema with me. I always buy you popcorn!

  Rosie: Shut up! I always get the popcorn!

  Li: Oh... shut up.

  Rosie: You shut up...

  Li: No you shut up.

没有评论:

发表评论